Joe is sounding more and more comfortable as a single host. More casual, more comfortable.
She show flows more smoothly than before. There are fewer gaps and errors.
There is more sound than before, and the news starts with sound more frequently than before.
What’s Not working
The writing is back to being pretty stiff and full of jargon (the first story of the hour I Monitored started with “Fairbanks police say…”).
The crime and terribleness have crept back in. About half the stories in a monitored day last week were crime or accidents.
The voices we are fortunate to have should be on the biggest, most memorable stories and we should develop them as personalities.
Many stories are simply too long. One voiced story was about 1.30.
1) The first story or two of every newscasts should be more carefully written so at least the bigger stories we do sound better and get more attention.
2) We should regularly review the writing. Habits are hard to break.
3) We should assign non crime stories, more human interest stories, and the most interesting stories for others to read for the morning. And then we should regularly work with the voice work, as we do with talk show hosts.
4) We should benchmark big, ongoing issues like Prop 1, Prop 2, Pebble, etc. Make it a section and call it “here’s what you need to know…”
5) We should regularly look to fill out newscasts with ‘other’ news, as a habit: a health thing, a money thing, a tech thing. This will help dilute the crime and terribleness stories.
6) Joe is improving as a stand alone host, but a morning news block will always sound better, bigger, and move faster with a second voice.
Here’s an example of a newscast from the bottom of the hour
Note the lead of the first story
Note the “wire” sound of the writing in general
Here’s an example of Joe’s smoother style but terribleness…
Here’s an example of the hour open. Smooth, great teases, brief…
Story Rundown from 6am, August 4 2014. Crime and Terrible in BOLD